Pages

Wednesday, 12 June 2013

Homeschool Part 1

It was never in my plan, this homeschooling especially on Islamic related topics. Rasa tak cukup ilmu. I am just happy monitoring their homework and doing some tuition. It started when the Kafa that they attended became smaller in number this year. Less people means less topics being covered and  I am worried that Sarah will lose out. One fine day after thinking of various alternatives I guess Allah just open up my heart to do this myself. Teaching my girls on my own. Told Muazzam and he said yes err...its just that I need to be istiqamah.

The 1st thing I did then was to send private messages to Puan Lollies to get some motivation and guidance.

image from here

The plan was to start our class (*our class because in order to teach/guide I need to learn/relearn too) in February. I started out with a timetable which I don't really follow but  use as a guide. I want it to be in a relax environment since the time is between 3-5pm. Basically our schedule goes like this:

1.45-1.50pm --reach home
1.50-2.30pm --rest & lunch
2.30-3.00pm --mandi & solat zohor together
3.30-5.00pm --class with 'take 5' in between

At first I did a school like timetable with a few topics in a day but decided to focus on 1 topic only. Currently I have a few topic folders which are
  • Pillars in Islam, 
  • Al Quran (Hafazan), 
  • Al Quran (Translation),
  • 99 Names of Allah,
  • Stories of The Prophets,
  • Manners
There are so much on the internet that can be used and sometimes I took a few hours to prepare for a topic. In order to ensure that the class is interesting I include some activities eg. making scrapbook/lapbook, word search, colouring/decorating, cut & rearrange & paste etc depending on the topic. I also include some powerpoint presentation including video clips from youtube.

Here are some of the basic materials I get for the girls.

Clip board. Pink for Hannah & Blue for Sarah.
Mama use what we already have for Ayah's RA activities.

Sketch Pad where they write, paste, etc 

A folder with clear plastics where they keep all their activity papers.
Purple flower for Sarah,  Colourful handprints for Hannah and the other one for Mama.
Card case used when needed. Eg. when they do their hafazan i'll print the surah  and insert in the card case. Senang for them to read.

Sarah did this for her folder

And this is Hannah's


2 comments:

famyGirl said...

Seronoknya!! Can I join your class too? I promise I will be a well-behaved and rajin student...

butterflutter said...

Ala...it's very basic je. Sometimes rasa too easy for the girls but I strongly believe that by having this kind of learning they will be able to put it in practise. Ada je drama and smtimes I am too flexible heh..heh...yg penting they learn something and I don't have to finish any required syllabus. I am able to add on anything I want. New vocabs etc so I'm loving it :-D